After the engine was run for several hours, we removed it from the mockup and
dropped the oil pan to check the bearings. Even though we had the block
hot tanked both before and after cylinder boring, there was clearly some
scale in the pan.
The engine was disassembled and sent out to the machine shop
for inspection. While we were at it, we added a Moroso windage tray
and an ARP stud kit. Since switching from main cap bolts to studs
affects the bearing clearances, the main caps were installed and
align-bored to restore the clearances.
Glenwood header manifolds, 15 degree elbows, aluminum front cover,
cam-driven water pump and a custom stainless steel alternator bracket
complete the engine.
Closeup view of the alternator bracket. It extends
back to the engine mount for added support.
Time to do some plumbing ! Stainless steel hose liner and chrome hose ends
were added to the top of the engine. What a difference a new digital camera
makes !! Compare this photo with the previous five photos . . .
We've modified the stock oil pan extensively by adding kickouts to the rear
sump and adding a new sump at the front.
Click here to see how the pan was fabricated (a new window
will be opened). The oil pan was shot with Dupont Uro-Prime primer-surfacer,
block-sanded with 100 grit, reprimed, puttied, blocked with 180/220/320 grit,
sealed, topcoated with white basecoat followed by Corvette Yellow basecoat and
finished with several rounds of two-part Urethane Clear.
Pan interior was previously sealed with multiple coats of Dupont DTM primer.
Over the weekend, we installed the oil pan, remote oil filter relocation kit, dipstick tube and
the newly painted alternator bracket. This engine is ready to install !
The stock stamped steel alternator pulley and fan were upgraded to lightweight
aluminum billet pieces.
The original Carter 3660 carburetor was upgraded to a Holley 600 CFM
marine four barrel carburetor. The Hardin Marine flame arrestor
uses a K&N air filter capable of flowing 30% more air than a stock